Friday, May 18, 2012

Another New Love...Murano Glass


I found another new love today (sorry, honey)...Murano glass. This exquisite glass, not simply utilitarian, is the most beautiful abstract art I've seen (or sipped from).


Hearing about it for years, we hopped onto a water taxi and zoomed across the lagoon in Venice to Murano Island, the famous colony of glass makers dating back to the early 1200s. We saw a live demo by a glassmaker, and toured museums.






I've always been attracted to colored glass (and years later, heard that it was good feng shui to have in your home!), so my new quest for the rest of our travels in Italy, was Murano glass. Here's one of my favorite finds...I can get lost in looking at these glasses for hours...


From sculptures, chandeliers, goblets and plates, Murano glass is in a category of its own. In July, I will visit my daughter in Seattle and see the new Chihuly exhibit that opened in May. And hopefully some day, I will get to also visit my old high school friend Richard, who is a glassblower in Hawaii. Seems clear to me that glass is my new fascination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment