Sunday, May 13, 2012

Photo by Robert Stelson
Well friends, it's not that I don't love you. As part of my long awaited and recent trip to Italy, I wanted to unplug and totally immerse myself in this culture and the sensual experience of travel. As a celebration of my 60th birthday, I checked off some major items on my Bucket List. Ones I almost gave up on, ones that were tucked away in the back of the closet of my mind. Coming to the realization that this not only was possible, but absolutely necessary, Robert and I researched, planned and packed for a 3 week trip that covered Amsterdam, Venice, Florence, a week in Tuscany, and Rome. Through piles of books, maps, handwritten notes and volumes of tips from friends, we compiled our dream trip. 

No cell phone, no voicemail, no Facebook. Sketchbook, canvases and paints and camera. And something new...my iPad. Through sporadic Internet access, it was the one way we could stay in touch with family, with daily photos (and the most fun, videos!) that gave them a sense of seeing other cultures in a new way.

A side note. Finding a good travel partner is such a blessing. To travel with someone who has the same priorities as you (ours were food, art/photography and wine) makes the pleasure of it all even greater. Robert and I were wanting to explore every day...finding it hard to sleep, not wanting to waste a minute of unknown territory. Simpatico.



No comments:

Post a Comment